Lockdown Level 1 Passed

  • Lockdown: Level completed.
  • CoVID-19 Pandemic Day #93
  • Life Day: #14,795

Shauna and the kids were released from quarantine on Thursday 16 April. For some reason, I was only given my release papers late Saturday afternoon, two days later. I suspect the reason being that I ventured into downtown GZ sometime in mid-March, or one of my colleagues did…

One of my colleagues whose husband had been “released” a couple of days before her, reckons her delay was a result of her sending her phone to downtown Guangzhou for repairs. That’s the only way she can explain it…🤷‍♂️

Did I run out and dance in the sunshine as soon as I was free to go? Hell no! I went and continued my afternoon nap! 😀

There was some fanfare associated with the release. Gifts were received from the authorities to thank us for being so co-operative. Very kind of them.

The gift packs included letters of thanks, two packs of apples, cookies; a booklet on how to behave and be hygienic during the pandemic; what to do if tested positive, a box of precious face masks, a thermometer, something that smells nice-ish, and other stuff that I have not been able to identify yet…

We have been really well looked after and I have no complaints about the quarantine. We were tested twice, and visited separately by various departments and officials in between. Anyone with an African passport, and many local Chinese who may have come into contact with suspected cases have all been visited and tested so its not like we received any undue treatment.

We were fortunate to be quarantined together as a family, and at our home, so it was very comfortable. I know that has not been the case for everyone.


I returned to work on Monday (back to work again!), while Shauna took on the homeschooling battle. With online teaching, online homeschooling, and 24/7 parenting, I think most teachers who are parents are working a demanding double shift at this time! I was grateful to be back at work for some head space! 🙂

It was announced last week that schools will be going back at the end of April. No doubt a relief for everyone involved. We can all do with a return to some form of “normality”, structure and routine! 😊

We are obliged to go for two follow up CoVID tests following release from quarantine. These are paid for by the authorities. Thank you kindly!
This will mean a total of 4 tests for each of us in 1 month. We should be very negative by then!! 

A colleague of mine has been tested 6 times in total so far…We believe he will be tested until his results come back positive. 😛

On release we were presented with dates for the follow up tests and a list of designated community hospitals. Shauna and the kids, and a few other families went for their tests on Monday. It turned out to be a long 6-hour ordeal.
No one at the hospital was aware that the tests were supposed to be free. So there was plenty of confusion.
Despite the length of time it took, and not having anything to eat, the kids were pretty excited about the experience as they witnessed a prisoner, in handcuffs, being escorted in and out of the testing station. One does not often get a chance to see prisoners. Although we were effectively prisoners ourselves, under house arrest, for 10 days 😛


On Tuesday morning Robbie dropped a coffee cup that cut the top of his foot open just above his big toe. So we rushed him off to Clifford Hospital. It was quite obvious that he needed stitches. In the end he needed 4 or 5 stitches and he screamed like he felt each and every one. It was a traumatic experience. I think our ears are still ringing.

The doctor bravely held Robbie’s foot, while two orderlies held his legs and torso, and I held his knees down, and Shauna hugged his head. I tried to remind him that he needed to be like a Superhero:
“Be like the Hulk! Be like the Hulk! He is really strong and sometimes he even needs stitches!!” I said through the screaming.
I honestly thought Robbie was about to burst out of his clothes and turn into the Hulk with the amount of rage he was expressing.

He screamed, and screamed, and in between screams he would remember that we had promised him a Buzz Lightyear toy if he got through the ordeal. Remembering the promise, he would stop and shout: ”I want that Buzz Lightyear toy NOW!!”

Waiting at the Fever Clinic. We are all smiling under those masks!

As we had just been released from quarantine we had to wait an hour and a half before Robbie could be seen to by the doctors. There was a lot of confusion as the nurses did not quite know how to deal with us foreigners, and we were told to report to the Fever Clinic first. We should have gone straight to the emergency room. We were treated with a bit of caution because of the recent increase of imported CoVID cases. There were no English interpreters around, so it was a slightly confusing time for us all. In the end the nurses and doctors were great and we managed to get everything done.

Robbie is fine now. Already running around and destroying the house. Isla was really good to Robbie when the accident happened. She is always very calm in a crisis: she asked intelligent questions about Robbie’s foot, and what we needed to do next; she offered to help us when preparing to go to the hospital; and she stayed at home with our Ayi while we took Robbie to the hospital. I think she will be a great War-Time leader. She can be the opposite in Peace-Time 😛 😀


Isla’s flair for abstract and arty photography continues. Maybe she will be a great War-Time photographer one day!

%d bloggers like this: